Friday, May 20, 2011

GET THAT BOOTY? SURE?

If you follow me on twitter, you probably know that I'm taking summer class, and very simply, I describe it as my worst decision in college. However, I'm taking it with a totally awesome professor [Keith Martel] so that straightens some of the rods. Today in class, I laughed till I cried, and I am just about to tell you why.

    So Keith Martel, my professor is the director of the Center for Faith and Practice at my school, and therefore attends this conference called  'Jubilee' every February in Pittsburgh. It's a christian conference that brings about 2000 college students together for worship and fellowship for one weekend.
    Mr. Martel [yes, I refuse to call him Keith] was at one of these conferences, and there was a speaker which he described as a very beautiful woman. She wrote on everything from being a christian to renewal, restoration, community, and all that. Now she had aged, and as Mr. Martel [soon to be doctor btw.] guessed, she would've been in her 70's. I guess aging caught up with her and she was beginning to go blind as well.
    So this beautiful woman was scheduled to speak at this conference. The time approaches and as she sits before 2000 college students to speak, she's so motivating and inspiring that no one had the urge "to pick up thier phones and text." She goes on and on, and then she says, "as Christians, we need to go into the world, and get that booty." [revised quote]. And no I didnt make a mistake. She said 'booty'. According to Mr. Martel, everyone is sitting there on the verge of laughter but trying not to. Not knowing what was going on, she said it again. This time, everyone started dying with laughter cause no one could hold it in. This poor lady has no idea why people are laughing so hard, and then she says it... a third time.
   Apparently, 'booty' in her sentence meant treasure.So in other words, we as christians are supposed to go out and get that treasure. Now, this is the 21st century and I'm pretty sure 'booty' means only one thing to people of this century. I'm also sure, that people of this beautiful womans age know the word 'booty' to mean only one thing as well. The problem however, is that the meanings of these two different audiences do not correspond.
   Quite literally, when Mr. Martel told this story, me and some other people in the class laughed.  A LOT.
However, this is what got me dying with laughter. After Mr. Martel had explained how bad he felt for this lady because of her lack of knowledge of the definition of the term 'booty' to this present generation, one of my classmates said "Well, that can also be a treasure"! In other words, 'booty' as we know it, 'we' being you and me, can also be a treasure. Very very literally, I laughed so hard that I cried.
   So beautiful ladies, and handsome gentlemen, the very next time you are going to give a speech to even as little as 10 or 20 people, make proper use of your dictionary, or research your audience to know what kind of diction they use. You don't want to say get that booty, and mean treasure, when everybody youre talking to knows booty to mean, quite simply, booty.

That's umm, getting that booty.. oh wait. I mean treasure.. as i do it.

~***shanpepe***~

No comments:

Post a Comment